Broadband Solutions is committed to providing you with a reliable, robust, and secure internet experience. We are also committed to guarding your privacy and personal information. Broadband Solutions has obligations to protect your privacy under various Federal Government acts, including the Telecommunications Act 1997 and the Privacy Act 1998. What information do we collect? Broadband Solutions collects personal information from you that is necessary for it to perform its functions, set out below:
• Your name, address and contact details;
• Your date of birth;
• Account name and account number held by financial institutions from which payments for services provided by Broadband Solutions are made;
• Records of communications between you and Broadband Solutions relating to services provided by Broadband Solutions to you;
• Information obtained as a result of credit checks which you have authorised;
• Billing information;
• Records of your Internet usage (see below for more details);
Internet usage records These records comprise:
• If you use our mail server to send or receive emails - the origin and destination of emails to and from your account and their size. These records are kept for a week in case you have a question about whether your email account is working properly, and to enable us to enforce our policy against spam email. The contents of emails are not kept after you have downloaded them, and can only be disclosed to law enforcement agencies in accordance with item 14(b) below;
• for non ADSL customers - your user name and your IP address for each internet connection session and its start and finish times and, unless you have caller ID switched off, the phone number used to dial up. These records are kept for up to 7 years to bill you where you are charged by volume and in case a question arises about your use of a service or whether a service was provided to you;
• for ADSL customers - your ID number and your IP address for each internet connection session and its start and finish times, the amount of data that passed over your service, and the port numbers and IP addresses of external services you connected to. These records are kept for up to 7 years to bill you where you are charged by volume and in case a question arises about your use of a service or whether a service was provided to you
• the names and sizes of all files uploaded and downloaded by you to and from our File Transfer Protocol servers and the time and date they were uploaded or downloaded. The files themselves stay on the servers until you delete them or cease to be a customer. These records are kept for 9 months in case a question arises about whether changes to your website were made and when; and
• if you connect to the internet through our proxy server (a choice made by your browser) - the IP address of every site you visited and the date and time you visited that site. These records are kept for 3 days. These records are kept in case you raise a question about whether your internet access service is working properly
How Internet Usage Records are Recorded
• Our computers generate these records. We can also use them to troubleshoot internal problems.
How Internet Usage Records are Disclosed
• In addition to any other permitted disclosures under this policy, internet usage records will only be disclosed:
(a) to you in the course of resolving an issue about services provided to you; and (b) to law enforcement agencies who appear to us to have a warrant or to have followed another statutory procedure that authorises us to disclose them, or as authorised by any law.
How does Broadband Solutions collect personal information? When you first buy a service from us we will collect certain mandatory information from you such as your name (and in case of company applications the name of the directors of the company), contact details, and date of birth. Your
use of the service will generate usage and billing information which is automatically collected by our systems. We may also collect information from third parties such as:
• Credit providers or credit reporting agencies contacted by us (or by external service providers on our behalf) in the course of carrying out a credit check.
• Other entities who provide services to us related to the provision of services provided to you.
• Government agencies which administer laws regulating telecommunication service providers, or complaint resolution processes established under those laws.
How do we use your personal information? Broadband Solutions respects your privacy. As a result, Broadband Solutions does not trade, rent or sell your personal information or corporate information. The primary purpose for which we use your personal information is to provide you with the services you have purchased from us. In the course of providing an internet service to you we may also use your personal information for related purposes including the following:
• Provisioning and connecting your service.
• Credit checking.
• Providing you with customer service.
• Billing you for that service.
• Investigating and resolving complaints and faults in relation to your service.
• Following up and payments you owe us.
We may also use your personal information to tell you about our other products and services provided by Broadband Solutions in conjunction with either our related bodies corporate or our business partners or associates. In delivering some services, Broadband Solutions contracts out some various works to external service providers. Broadband Solutions may disclose personal information held by it to these organisations, but only to the extent to allow those services to be delivered. Broadband Solutions may disclose your personal information to other telecommunications service and equipment providers, Broadband Solutions related corporate bodies, credit providers, credit reporting agencies, organisations to whom Broadband Solutions outsources services and domain registrars located locally or overseas. Access to Personal Information Generally, you have the right to see or obtain a copy of personal information about you that we may hold. Broadband Solutions will handle requests for access to personal information in accordance with the National Privacy Principles. To request access to your personal information, please contact us on (03) 9912 6800. We will ask you several questions so we can be sure to verify your identity, and then if possible provide you with the requested information over the telephone. If we cannot immediately provide you with the information you require we will send you an acknowledgement by email or post within seven days. We will respond to your request within 28 days. Depending on the information you request, and how long it takes us to compile it, and respond to your request, we may charge you for the administrative costs of providing the information to you. There may be rare circumstances in which we may refuse to give you access to your personal information where giving you access:
• would have an unreasonable impact on other people's privacy.
• would prejudice any negotiations we are having with you.
• would prejudice an investigation of unlawful activity, or activities by law enforcement agencies.
• would prejudice billing you for that service.